A Genuine Wilderness Experience
- Mangatiti Landing – near the outlet of the Tokatapu Stream (Latitude: 39°18’29.66, Longitude: 175°0’0.77) : See the map.
- A unique block of unlogged native bush, rich in ecological values with a mix of undulating and steep terrain, river frontage, streams, waterfalls, canyons and wetlands, ideal for environmental education and experiential learning activities.
- 30 minute jet boat trip north of Pipiriki with no road access or cell coverage or power. This is a rare opportunity to be off the grid.
- Bush-friendly but rustic facilities for family and group retreats. Fresh drinkable water is available on-site.
- Bunkroom hut sleeps 10 and room for 6-8 one to two person tents. Maximum capacity at the site is 20 people.
- Two long-drop toilets, one urinal and two solar showers.
- The lodge is situated on a flat plateau close to the river, accessible by an easy-contoured track requiring a reasonable level of fitness.
- Well-suited to practical wilderness activities in the bush environment for young people, guided by your own experienced instructors.
- The site is not fenced from vertical drop offs and river access, and you are responsible for monitoring your own health and safety. You must have at least one member of your party who has significant bush-craft experience including health and safety.
- Great place for learning bush-craft, bush survival techniques, track-cutting, food gathering and over-night camping experiences.
- Special and private place which would be well-suited to supporting physical and emotional training of young people, to build self-confidence and practical knowledge.
- Sponsorship opportunities for groups who offer special programs to help struggling families and troubled youth. If you would like to apply for sponsorship please contact us.
- Not suitable for people with serious medical conditions (weather can result in unexpected longer stays), people with accessibility issues or people dependent on electricity or technology.
- 30 minute Jetboat trip North of Pipiriki costs approximately $85 per person to drop off at Mangatiti Landing and return trip to and from the landing is $130 per person. There are concession rates for groups of 10 or more. Book through Whanganui River Adventures. Remember space on the jet boat is limited: ask what restrictions apply.
- Kayaks can be delivered to the site for the cost of $120 per kayak per day also through Whanganui River Adventures.
- Rate for exclusive use of the 325 hectare property is $25 per adult per night, 10 – 18 years $15 per person per night and children under 10 free. A minimum daily charge of $250 in peak (Jan, Feb and Easter) and $200 in shoulder (Dec, Mar, Apl) applies.
- You will be self-catering and must remove all rubbish when you leave.
- BYO bedding, kitchen equipment, tents, towels and food.
How to book
Complete the contact form and we will send you a booking questionnaire, Facilities Use Guidelines and Heath and Safety document..
Is your group working with young people requiring financial assistance to come? Please contact us.
If you want to sponsor a group please contact us.